Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d’Italia

Yeah.... finally a GT. 

Should be interesting. Not the strongest line up we'll ever see but that might be a great chance for the under card.... 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

103 comments

Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Stage 7 and some real racing!  Potentially big day for the Road.CC overall.

Schmidt to win!

Daniel Norton replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Bouwman and Mollema in the break?  Not good news for them really.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Girmay out sprinting Demare.... mmm...

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm thinking a snooze fest today.... Tagliani in the break as a wild guess...

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Even my banker Tagliani isn't bothered.  This is ridiculous.  Hopefully Tagliani, Demare, Gaviria and Girmay will go for the intermediate and give us some racing.

0 likes

Just spotted why Tagliani isn't bothered.  He's going for the intermediate sprint comp, and both sprints are after climbs.

One rider break?!  Hmphh...

Dr Winston replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

.... and there he goes...

0 likes

Clever riding, I suppose, to wait until after the climb to grab a few more points.  Bit annoying they didn't at least let two of them ride up to Rosa though.

0 likes

I think this stage has been agreed in advance by the riders for an easy day (it happens). Kamna getting the KOM pts is the trade for Adroni getting to ride away unchallenged for their intermediate competition. Rosa is an odd one.. no idea what's happening there.... Kelly suggesting the race organisers may have requested it to improve the stage. 

0 likes

They made a mistake with Rosa.  I think they need Rosa to try to lead Fortunato into a breakaway tomorrow.

0 likes

Yeah... just couldn't see the point of that today. I suppose it could have been for the sponsors with the chance to show off the jersey. 

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Got away with one there. Chose to go without MVDP to get both Cav and Caleb... doh...

MVDP and his team were absolutely fantastic. The tactic was obvious but they well and truly killed off The two favourites.

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Same here, very nearly took Cav out for MVdP but held fire and was cursing up until final Km. Looked like he had a mechanical as he was in a great position then just sat up. He is going to be a real loose cannon now Mareczko has dropped out - says he is only interested in stage wins but was clearly after points today! 

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Don't be surprised to see him in a break or two either. He's fantastic. 

Do you think he will complete this Giro?

0 likes

My gut feeling is no because he is due to ride the Tour as well. Having said that, if the points jersey is in reach things could be different. I love his ultra aggressive style of riding - must be a nightmare for other teams.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

That finish looks quite dangerous, 

1 like

Could have been messy if Cav hadn't decided to sprint from miles out. It strung everyone out through the kink in the road but made for a never ending sprint. I still find it odd that a head on camera shot is the norm in sprint finishes when it gives no real clarity on who has won - you end up relying on raised arms which can be unreliable. I would much prefer an overhead view for the finish as you get a much better sense of what is actually happening. Very happy for Cav though.

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Couldn't agree more.  They always show the replay of a helicopter shot, so why not show that in the first place (trees etc notwithstanding).  They might as well let Blythe and McEwan do the commentary as well.  The other commentators are best as filler during the stage...

Daniel Norton replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

I meant let them do the commentary for the sprint finish, btw

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Kink in the road and a slight down hill sprint is all a bit Abdoujaparov. The long sprint, as you say, thinned it all out though.

Definitely overhead shot for me.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Big sprint day tomorrow. I took a very risky no MVDP for purist in favour of Demare and Nizzolo who's respective teams look set up to try and win the points jersey. I think I might have f up... Can Mareczko even sprint faster than MVDP?.. I'm not sure who'll be leading who out... Mmmm...

0 likes

Alpacin originally had Merlier as their sprinter until he pulled out through injury. Marecczko looks like a big downgrade on paper so it does open the door fo MvDP sprinting. I still think they will play it by the book & MVdP will be 2nd or 3rd man in line just looking to do a decent lead out and stay in pink.

0 likes

I wend for Gaviria and Demare in Purist, on the assumption that Cav would not be going for the points Jersey and unlikely to finish the race.  Cav went for the points on stage 1 so....

Then again, my Purist campaign is over already.

Did anyone else see Contador's comments on MVDP?  He thinks he might be able to stay on the podium until the end of the race!  Surely Bertie can't be right? 

0 likes

I highly doubt he'll be on the podium after tomorrow... let alone the end of the race.

0 likes
Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

I missed the deadline! cool

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Frustrating when that happens. On the plus side it doesn't matter as much on a GT,  you just get better teams on other days. 

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm not really a big fan of ex pros doing commentary, they know their stuff but the delivery is just rubbish very often.... and that goes for any sport... 

I make a big exception for Robbie Mcewen... he's really good. He's made for this. 

dave atkinson | 2 years ago
0 likes

All downhill from here for me then yes

Daniel Norton replied to dave atkinson | 2 years ago
0 likes

You said it.

Good start though.

Pages

Latest Comments