Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour de Suisse

Only 5 teams confirmed, but a full start list. I'll push live at the end of the morning tomorrow. Here is the start list to keep you up to date: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-suisse/2022/gc/startlist/st...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

79 comments

Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Cunning plan out of the window.  I was trying to keep within range, while saving transfers for the last three stages and keeping Higuita, Schachmann, Lutsenko and Fuglsang! Crash: No more Lutsenko and Schachmann!

Oops!  Probably need to use the in-hand transfers now... Damage limitation for me.

Good to see Sagan back.  Interesting potential bargain for the TdF?

Dr Winston replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Mmmm... not much damage done...Looks like you and many others sat on their hands a bit. I went with just one transfer and a thin day... but... i ended up  11th for the day with just 101 pts.... that's rubbish scoring for the game with a sprint, as predicted.

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

I kept Lutsenko in as well for the 'safe' GC points and the likely 15-20th place on the stage. That went badly! 

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

If i did a second transfer it would have been Pidcock out for one of either Kung, Schachmann or Trentin. I got away with one there. I'm not sure about tomorrows stage with that climb so close to the finish... it actually looks quite like something Pidcock might enjoy if he gets the freedom.

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I wish I'd sat on those hands! 

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Strange how cycling can change from one race to the next. That final climb, today, would have seen Ineos and TJV delivering a knock out blow to the sprinters last week... and they did... frequently.

I've no idea why teams keep persisting with the 5 > 6 minute gap for breakaways this season... why are they doing that?

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

My opinion.  Three reasons today for no catch:-

Bora: Too many chiefs not enough Indians.  If you include Grosschartner as a protected rider, they only have 3 domestiques.

Teams with people like Matthews: If they pushed any harder on the climbs, fastmen dropped again.  Pointless catch - even if they had the riders to do so.

Make the catch near the final climb: Evenepoel or Fuglsang attack at the steeper, top part of the final climb, and the fastmen lose anyway as nobody is capable of bringing them back.

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
1 like

So far it's a race for which I've got no 'feel'. Just can't get a handle on the tactics after two stages. Doesn't help that I'm not able to watch it but I'm not sure that it would help from what you say!

0 likes

2-4 minutes for the break has been the accepted gap for years.

It's not often realised that the gap was reciprocal... So if the break tried to speed up, or slow down, then the peloton did likewise..if the peloton slowed for a nature break then so did the break... and so on... The two were not independent of each other. It feels to me like that old agreement has gone in favour of what has more of a feel of a one day race about it with the break and Peloton being independent of each other. Some of the fantastic battles to get in the break are also becoming more common ... which kind off backs that up as well... just letting 3-4 riders roll off at Km 0 and a 2-4 minutes gap is becoming a rarity.

Not that i'm complaining because it makes for fantastic race days... but i definitely get the impression the game is changing... or has changed.

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

You are absolutely right. We are in a golden age of exciting racing but the fantasy game has become way more difficult (or I'm losing my touch!)

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well it is more difficult to predict. There's an awful lot of "Poggio" type finishes now that are really well balanced between sprinters, puncheurs and GC. This was stage 10 from the recent Giro... very similar to today's stage at the finish... and look at the GC men on that day... Giro d'Italia 2022 Stage 10 results (procyclingstats.com)

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the breaks in the early stages of this years TDF... quite uneventful looking profiles by recent standars... we'll see.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm quite hoping Schachmann returns to some sort of small tour form in this one. He adds a lot to the peloton, and the game, when he's on song.

Hirschi v Schachmann v Pidcock sound quite juicy for stages of a certain type...

0 likes

Looks like Hirschi v Schachmann v Williams.

Where did that come from?  Great ride.

1 like

Just brilliant... Brilliant all round really.... A great race for him, Schachmann and Lutsenko. The latter two are real road racers of the type i like. 

I know nothing about Williams.... can he repeat a day like today at that intensity?

0 likes

Yes, I love Schachmann.  Such an entertaining rider.

If Williams is the same type of rider he was pre-injury, Itzulia, Romandie, and the first two thirds of this race are right up his street.  It's anybodies guess whether he can last until the TT in yellow though.

0 likes

Correction: The TT is AFTER the two big mountain stages (forgot) so the question is whether Williams can last until those stages not the TT.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

For anybody lurking and looking at that start list, and not sure how it works.. The teams with ticks next to them are the teams that have declared their starting line ups, all being well,... whilst the ones without ticks remain best guesses. Teams can be slow to declare their line ups.

Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Puncheurs vs climbers.  Breaks vs faster finishers.  A lot of teams with too many Chiefs and not enough Indians to do the chasing?

Could be an epic race to watch.  Bloody hard for fantasy players though.

0 likes

Looks like a great race coming up.

Pages

Latest Comments