Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta

My reading of the Vuelta rules is that there is a daily award for the best young rider in the GC classification, but not a young rider classification as such. So there would be no YR classification points scored in road.cc.  Can anyone clarify?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

Condor Andy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Tomorrow is definitely not a sprinters stage. The final climb isn't that hard, but it's narrow, poor surface, and a steady gradient between 5-6%. It's a classics finish. Sagan v Valverde punch up again. Or maybe some others fancy it. Similar line-up to today's top finishers plus a couple more GC men.

archieboy replied to Condor Andy | 6 years ago
1 like

Condor Andy wrote:

Tomorrow is definitely not a sprinters stage. The final climb isn't that hard, but it's narrow, poor surface, and a steady gradient between 5-6%. It's a classics finish. Sagan v Valverde punch up again. Or maybe some others fancy it. Similar line-up to today's top finishers plus a couple more GC men.

Just looked at Stg 8 run in. With that full roundabout at 500m to go if they ain't in the top ten then forget it because after that it's single track to the line. Looks like the roundabout could be chaos if anyone goes down.

Oh a vid of the final 5k is on Velorooms in the stage preview. If that helps anyone.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
1 like

I'll settle for that. A conscious decision to sit on my hand due to the unknown and the fact most other would be in the same boat. Only dropped two places. Having said that if I'd known what that stage was actually like there wouldn't have been a hop in hell I'd have kept my sprinters.

I've looked at tomorrow's stage on cyclingstages and it looks like they may have done the same again..or have they?....Doesn't look much like a sprinters finish to me.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Agreed sniffer. Chasing Rolleurs  can be a mugs way of playing and a way to burn transfers fast...too fast. Either stick with the sprinters or bring in something like Yates and Buchmann for at least some guaranteed points over the next two days and have them ready for Sunday. 

I'm only in a two man league with my brother. He's 6th and I'm 4th but he's used four more transfers than me...so I doubt he'll burn anymore and so will stick with a sprinter heavy team. In that respect sitting on my hands should be ok. 

1 like

I can't see anywhere that the course has been changed. Tbh, I have no idea why everyone is saying this was ever going to be a straight forward sprint stage.  The cat 3 kicker and drag up to the finish aren't that hard, but several teams will need to work together to ensure it. All it takes are a few puncheurs or a couple of GC teams putting the hammer down (maybe a strong breakaway) and the sprinters will be toast.

If Sagan is fully fit, then the stage is ideal for him. Trentin might be a good bet too.  After that it's the puncheurs and GC men. Even Valverde might fancy it or Kwiatkowski.

I can't call it so I'm saving my transfers. Dr Winston, I suspect a lot of people will just see 'Flat' and go sprinters.

Mark 60, I'm on r/peloton on Reddit a lot. Plenty of opinion and prediction theories are discussed. I tend to trust these guys more than anyone else because the discussions are always more thorough. CyclingWeekly and the others tend to be a bit threadbare.  I could start putting a little something on here to give people ideas.

Sniffer | 6 years ago
0 likes

No idea what the best thing to do today is.  My team feels a bit all over the place for a stage like this after being sprint heavy yesterday. 

It is days like this where big gains / losses can be made, but they are a bit stressful.  Simple GC and sprinter days are easier to predict and the differences in teams are therefore much smaller.

Mark 60 | 6 years ago
1 like

While I am here,  what are some of the best preview sites out there that people are using. 

I basically check Cycling Weekly, Ciclisimino (?) and C-Cycling but beyond that Haven’t found good stuff.

Anyone want to share?

JohnnyRemo replied to Mark 60 | 6 years ago
1 like

Mark 60 wrote:

While I am here,  what are some of the best preview sites out there that people are using. 

I basically check Cycling Weekly, Ciclisimino (?) and C-Cycling but beyond that Haven’t found good stuff.

Anyone want to share?

The bookies are rarely wrong, so worth checking oddschecker and the like. Cycling Quotes is a Danish site that does pretty in-depth previews for the day's big races.

*BUT*  - you're taking advice from the Forum Scorum perennial lanterne rouge...

Sniffer replied to JohnnyRemo | 6 years ago
1 like

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Mark 60 wrote:

Anyone want to share?

The bookies are rarely wrong, so worth checking oddschecker and the like. Cycling Quotes is a Danish site that does pretty in-depth previews for the day's big races.

*BUT*  - you're taking advice from the Forum Scorum perennial lanterne rouge...

I think the English language Cyclingquotes gave up, although you can still something from the same people if your Danish is good enough.

MinardiM189 replied to Sniffer | 6 years ago
1 like

Sniffer wrote:

I think the English language Cyclingquotes gave up, although you can still something from the same people if your Danish is good enough.

If you use Chrome web browser there is an option to translate webpages to English.

I read Feltet.dk using that.

Other previews worth reading are CyclingMole on twitter https://twitter.com/cyclingmole although he also runs a cycling betting syndicate and he may leave his top betting tip out of the preview. The bookies usually change their odds after reading his previews.

Dr Winston replied to Mark 60 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Mark 60 wrote:

Anyone want to share?

mytwospokesworth is a nice blog. Just a chap who writes up his opinion on the next days stage with his thoughts on the best "outsider picks" for that day. He does it with a view to finding good odds for betting folk but  he has a good handle on the state of play. Check him out.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fancied riders for stage 7 seem to have changed markedly in the past few hours. Has the course been tweaked or just folk taking a proper look?

Mark 60 replied to Dr Winston | 6 years ago
2 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Fancied riders for stage 7 seem to have changed markedly in the past few hours. Has the course been tweaked or just folk taking a proper look?

I tend to agree. I’m sure yesterday they were still talking sprinters and today it’s GC. 

I thought it looked too hard for the sprinters but figured the experts were right. I’ve been chewing through the transfers so I’m not changing again.

Cheering heavily now for the breakaway of no names. 

2 likes

Update keeps crashing, we're working on it.

Moist von Lipwig | 6 years ago
1 like

Any reason why the scores are in but the leagues aren't updating?

2 likes

I'm not sure he'll go for the KOM still. He'll be happy with a decent upswing in form and a stage win, which he will get if he's in a load of mountains breakaways.

What did Mate say? I know a few days ago he said he wanted the jersey in the first few stages because it was his home territory. I think he'll lose it sometime early next week. Rolland looks good for it, or maybe someone else who hasn't even started to have fun yet.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
1 like

Yeah...I saw that Andy. Also. Did you see Mate's  interview yesterday. He said he wouldn't do much until Sunday ( obviously firmly set on the KOM jersey) ...Liiks like Porte may have changed his mind on not doing much.

triccky100 | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes he took his time! Thanks for updating Condor Andy

1 like

When I did the scoring Lars Boom seemingly hadn't finished yet. I do all the scoring based on the Vuelta website.

triccky100 | 6 years ago
0 likes

To follow up my previous comment, Cyclingnews does not have complete rider list and incorrectly has Sebastian Langeveld in last place, offical results on Vuelta website has Lars Boom as finishing last, could scores please be updated, cheers

tony kappler | 6 years ago
1 like

Dave, the "Spaniards only" comp scores are being added to the overall season purist totals. Can you fix please. (sim to TdF situation).

triccky100 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Did Lars Boom come last? 10 points please!

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

An outstanding race by the GC teams today by riding the legs off any slim chance the sprinters and Rolleurs may have had today. Will we see the same tomorrow ?....A flatter finish but  they may well want another Kwia/Valverde match up. Any thoughts?

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

You may yet be ok Pitbull....could well go for KOM with a bit of luck on your part. I'm wondering why I went with Sagan already....poor pick now I think about it. He struggled to finish the TDF so not much chance if finishing this.

Pitbull Steelers | 6 years ago
1 like

Why oh why did i pick Porte for my Purist team indecision

Dr Winston replied to Pitbull Steelers | 6 years ago
1 like

Pitbull Steelers wrote:

Why oh why did i pick Porte for my Purist team indecision

Porte in the break on stage 6 with Mate.  Big pts for him and Mate for the rest of the Vuelta if they go into battle for KOM.  More pts than if he was going for GC.

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 6 years ago
1 like

Richie Porte wrote:

“I didn’t really have a good run-in so I think I’ve always been honest with my ambitions here and that was to ride for preparation for the Worlds. Day by day I’m starting to feel a little bit better. I think it can actually be good to ride at the back sometimes, there are things to learn. Two days ago I was in the gruppetto. It was nice to see the fans and the party it is.”

From the live ticker today. He might actually be in for a decent 2nd and 3rd week!

1 like

We've had 42 for all GTs this year.

enrique replied to Condor Andy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

We've had 42 for all GTs this year.

Woh! Thanks! I think I should pay a little more attention!... 

enrique | 6 years ago
0 likes

I thought the transfers for the Vuelta were 45. They're only 42?... Did they change or were they always 42?.... How many did we have for the Tour?.... sad

Pages

Latest Comments