Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d’Italia

Thought i’d try an early post for some pre race thoughts...so i’ll Start..

https://www.cyclingstage.com/giro-2019-route/

Loving the last stage....for some of us  old timers it’s like Laurent Fignon all over again. Do we approve?..or do we like the procession and sprint?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

261 comments

Sniffer replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I suspect most players will have very similar teams to mine for the next 2 stages -

ROGLIC
NIBALI
LANDA
CARAPAZ
LOPEZ
CICCONE
CARTHY
MASNADA

5 transfers remaining

Yes, mine is identical.  You have a couple more transfers though.

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Neither of Masnada or Ciccone in the break. HasCiccone won the KOM competition yet?

He pretty much has (I think mathematically at this point), he'll be in the break tomorrow I reckon, try to win the new Cima Coppi.

I have Yates instead of Roglic, other than that it's identical.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gap heading up towards 8 minutes with no riders within an hour of the race leader. Looking very much like another breakaway win. Time to cut my lawn.

MinardiM189 replied to jonscottclark | 5 years ago
0 likes

jonscottclark wrote:

Hey all, are there points awarded at the end of the tour for the eventual Maglia Rosa winner and final GC places?

No

MinardiM189 replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I think I need a miracle to sneak into the top 10.

Last 4 transfers used

Landa, Lopez, Ciccone & Masnada out.

Mollema, Campanaerts, Van Emden & Haga in.

Van Emden finished 14th on a very similar Verona ITT in 2010 and I'm hoping he has improved since then.

Another disaster Purist Team - Dumoulin crashed out, Yates didn't turn up, Jungels (why did I pick him?) and Zakarin being Zakarin.

Last time I go all in GC. Although if I had picked a sprinter would have gone Viviani.

Well I don't think that worked.

Having the extra transfer left for the last ITT probably cost me a few points again. angry

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

You got your wish Steve....sheesh....I don't suppose we were the only ones to ditch him.

Hugh Carthy from my home town riding up a storm....good stuff. I'm trying to organise a ticker tape parade for him but I can't seem to get many folk interested....too busy worshiping Tom Finney.

I never had Yates to ditch him but did drop Hugh.

I have a thread on Hugh Carthy on a PNE forum which doesn't attract a great deal of interest.

The LEP doesn't want to know he exists either, amazing.

Can you link me that thread please Minardi. 

Agreed about the LEP...strange. I’ve been posting on a couple of Preston FB sites about him.

archieboy replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

archieboy wrote:

I see stg 16 has had to be redesigned, the Gavia has been removed from the stage due to avalanche risk.

The Cima Coppi will now be the Passo Manghen on stg 20.

Stg 16 is still a brute with 4800 MTS of climbing but is now 194 km in length.

Aye. My plan was to ditch Sivakov because I thought he may get found wanting on that climb...not sure now...What do you think Archie?

I guess it depends on how many transfers you still have, assume 4 sprinters in for stg 18, then climbers back for 19 and then another 4 man change for stg 21. So if you have over 12 transfers left go for it, I would guess if your looking at Sivakov  out price wise you would be looking at Ciccone, Nieve or Carthy in. Your choice sir that way I don't get blamed

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Dunno what to think about today. Blew two transfers on nothingness but kinda called a part of it right. Got sit of Zakarin because I thought he's crack and that downhill wouldn't be his cup of tea....and also that it might have been too much for Sivakov. Both kinda worked....however....I brought Majka in....doh...

I've been blowing transfers and making my team worse at the same time too.

After the first 2 weeks I expected the break to score more points and GC to take a back seat.

When I did get a good pick inthe break they called him back to help Yates. angry

No changes for today then 4 sprinters in for stage 18.

Not sure whether to save many transfers for the last ITT because there aren't many sure ITT picks left.

Well it looks like it’s gonna be that way today. A free gift to the breakaway and back to back easier days for the GC boys coming up.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Not entirely convinced tomorrow ends in a sprint. Gonna go with three sprinters but plenty of others from the break will see this as a last chance saloon.  Any thoughts?

I can see a 50/50 chance of one of those stupidly big breaks...

Sprint is certainly not a stick on.  Picking the breakers will be a challenge though.

Very hard to pick a breakaway rider...better off not bothering. 

Demare would be happy to see 20 riders way out up front ....as would the GC boys...that only really leaves Bora to chase. ..unless of course Demare wants to try for a stage win but he'd risk his pts jersey. So basically the stage depends on Bora's willingness to chase a break on a very long stage. 

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Demare blew it.

What a total screw up from Groupama FDJ, serves then right.

Badly. They were never committed to today...further interview this morning confirmed it. Is there an intermediate left that they can try for?

Demare is now 13 points behind Ackermann.

There is a sprint tomorrow that might be possible but he would need Ackermann not to score and then pick up 2 points in the ITT on Sunday.

Saturdays intermediate sprint is after a mountain on the uphill start of the next mountain. So not much chance of scoring there.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Neither of Masnada or Ciccone in the break. HasCiccone won the KOM competition yet?

He pretty much has (I think mathematically at this point), he'll be in the break tomorrow I reckon, try to win the new Cima Coppi.

Suprised Demare didn’t at least try for the break. Maybe he just doesn’t have any legs left.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

I think I need a miracle to sneak into the top 10.

Last 4 transfers used

Landa, Lopez, Ciccone & Masnada out.

Mollema, Campanaerts, Van Emden & Haga in.

Van Emden finished 14th on a very similar Verona ITT in 2010 and I'm hoping he has improved since then.

Another disaster Purist Team - Dumoulin crashed out, Yates didn't turn up, Jungels (why did I pick him?) and Zakarin being Zakarin.

Last time I go all in GC. Although if I had picked a sprinter would have gone Viviani.

Well I don't think that worked.

Having the extra transfer left for the last ITT probably cost me a few points again. angry

It was only your Van Emden pick that hurt.  I dropped Carthy, Masnada and Ciccone for Haga Campanaerts and Mollema which worked.

I also went all on GC.  Dumoulin and Yates were unfortunate choices.  So too were all the breakaways winning.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Well it looks like it’s gonna be that way today. A free gift to the breakaway and back to back easier days for the GC boys coming up.

At one stage it looked like Bahrain were going to chase but I think they realised the gap was too big, since then Sky have been chasing and I have absolutley no idea why.

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Not entirely convinced tomorrow ends in a sprint. Gonna go with three sprinters but plenty of others from the break will see this as a last chance saloon.  Any thoughts?

Sprint is certainly not a stick on.  Picking the breakers will be a challenge though.

Demare would be happy to see 20 riders way out up front ....as would the GC boys...that only really leaves Bora to chase. ..unless of course Demare wants to try for a stage win but he'd risk his pts jersey. So basically the stage depends on Bora's willingness to chase a break on a very long stage. 

ICA may chase too.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Demare blew it.

What a total screw up from Groupama FDJ, serves then right.

Badly. They were never committed to today...further interview this morning confirmed it. Is there an intermediate left that they can try for?

Demare is now 13 points behind Ackermann.

There is a sprint tomorrow that might be possible but he would need Ackermann not to score and then pick up 2 points in the ITT on Sunday.

Saturdays intermediate sprint is after a mountain on the uphill start of the next mountain. So not much chance of scoring there.

Well he’s no chance then. Ackerman  will just follow him.

MinardiM189 replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

It was only your Van Emden pick that hurt.  I dropped Carthy, Masnada and Ciccone for Haga Campanaerts and Mollema which worked.

I also went all on GC.  Dumoulin and Yates were unfortunate choices.  So too were all the breakaways winning.

Missed out on top 10 by a point but never mind.

It was surprising how tired the GC riders appeared to be and  riders Mollema & Carthy obviously didn't make much effort because it was vitually impossible to go up or down on GC.

My biggest mistake was not bringing more sprinters in for Stage 8 and saving transfers for later when the changes were 'lucky dip' tries to pick the break.

On purist, all the breaks did hurt and all the points lost when the GC riders all dropped out of the top 10.

Not a particularly memorabe Giro, the cock up by Demare to lose the jersey was probably the thing I will remember most.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

At one stage it looked like Bahrain were going to chase but I think they realised the gap was too big, since then Sky have been chasing and I have absolutley no idea why.

INEOS are looking for a top 10 finish for Sivakov.  Gap to Formolo may have been the concern.

Can't help thinking that giving up the GC and looking for a stage win might have given them a more succesful Giro.  I suppose Dunbar might have delivered that earlier and they could have had both.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

ICA may chase too.

For the stage win?...Mmmm....maybe. I suppose it’s gonna be the best chance they get in this tour.

0 likes

Sniffer]</p>

<p>[quote=MinardiM189 wrote:

INEOS are looking for a top 10 finish for Sivakov.  Gap to Formolo may have been the concern.

Can't help thinking that giving up the GC and looking for a stage win might have given them a more succesful Giro.  I suppose Dunbar might have delivered that earlier and they could have had both.

Yes, I finally figured it.

I suppose pushing all the way to keep his top10 might help Sivakov in the future.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

If FDJ aren't chasing they will try and put someone decent in the break. If they do that Bora will do the same.

Benedetti v Madouas for the stage?

Personally I think Groupama will want another stage win and the blue jersey. You might even get Bora let Demare take some int. sprint points in return for help controlling the break.

Groupama could help until the int sprint and then depending on the outcome refuse to help, there are still 62km after the 1st int. sprint.

A team that has come to the Giro to win sprints is not going to turn down the opportunity of another win.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

If FDJ aren't chasing they will try and put someone decent in the break. If they do that Bora will do the same.

Benedetti v Madouas for the stage?

Personally I think Groupama will want another stage win and the blue jersey. You might even get Bora let Demare take some int. sprint points in return for help controlling the break.

Groupama could help until the int sprint and then depending on the outcome refuse to help, there are still 62km after the 1st int. sprint.

A team that has come to the Giro to win sprints is not going to turn down the opportunity of another win.

Wel...yeah..agreed, kind off. The complicating factor is that Demare currently wears the pts jersey...it would suit them nicely if there was no sprint at all tomorrow wouldn't it?...or do you think a stage win and risk losing that jersey if they lose on the day is more compelling?

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Wel...yeah..agreed, kind off. The complicating factor is that Demare currently wears the pts jersey...it would suit them nicely if there was no sprint at all tomorrow wouldn't it?...or do you think a stage win and risk losing that jersey if they lose on the day is more compelling?

In yesterday's press release Demare said - "we are strong and our clear goal is to bring back the cyclamen mailllot to verona. we do not know yet how we're going to go about it, we'll talk about it tonight."

If they are absolutley determined to win the jersey they won't chase. Even if they get points at the intermediate sprint there is the possibility Ackermann wins and Demare finishes 3rd or 4th.

If Groupama decide to let the break win, it would be a very negative way of winning a points jersey.

I suppose the way the route has been planned was asking for this.

I've brough 4 sprinters in anyway.

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I thought about Yates rather than Roglic but Yates has been worse than Roglic the last few stages & Roglic should be top2 in the ITT.

How many KoM points are there for Cima Coppi in the Giro not the game?

If there are 50 or more Carapaz can still get KoM if he is 1st on every summit & Ciccone doesn't score.

Ciccone could be working for Mollema tomorrow.

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

If there are 50 or more Carapaz can still get KoM if he is 1st on every summit & Ciccone doesn't score.

Absolutely no idea. Can't find anything in the Garibaldi about climb points. I just know that cat1s are 40 and cat2s are 18 points. So with 3 cat2s tomorrow worth 54 points for the person who wins all of them, that would still put Carapaz 129 points behind Ciccone. Carapaz might close the gap a wee bit at today's finish, but it would still take something monumental and I don't see it happening.

Also don't see Ciccone working for Mollema tomorrow. He may do, but the jersey is more important, and the Cima Coppi prize would be one he's after I reckon.

archieboy replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
2 likes

[/quote]

Cima Coppi points have increased this year from 45 to 50.

50, 30, 20, 14,10,6,4,2, and 1....theres your real life points for the leading nine over CC

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

You got your wish Steve....sheesh....I don't suppose we were the only ones to ditch him.

Hugh Carthy from my home town riding up a storm....good stuff. I'm trying to organise a ticker tape parade for him but I can't seem to get many folk interested....too busy worshiping Tom Finney.

Next to no transfers left and wallowing at the rear so what the hell I've reversed

Took Roglic out and put Yates back in today.

Now watch the fireworks.

Lol

0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Just the three riders up the road.  Sprint looks more likely.

Just as well - I brought in four sprinters.

Riders will possibly attack on the Cat4 climb and attempt to bridge to the break.

Condor Andy replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Did the same thing Steve, I've got 3 left and I've gone full GC with Cicone and Sosa. I'll only make transfers now if someone abandons.

stevemarks replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Did the same thing Steve, I've got 3 left and I've gone full GC with Cicone and Sosa. I'll only make transfers now if someone abandons.

I haven't been impressed with Roglic in the mountains so far and suspect he is going to crack in the next few days.

Sniffer replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Condor Andy wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

I haven't been impressed with Roglic in the mountains so far and suspect he is going to crack in the next few days.

A big day after a rest day can often bring a downfall for someone.  Who though? 

I sat on my hands which means that I am exposed on Yates who I dropped a couple of stages ago.  Still got 12 transfers though.  I doubt I will use them though and maybe should have been more adventurous earlier.

Pages

Latest Comments