Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Team Value

I'd like to know how my team value has dropped some much in one day

Yesterday Current team value: 202.2. Your balance: 0.5 credits.

Today Current team value: 191.2. Your balance: 0.5 credits.

So 11 credits in one day?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

TheBigMong | 13 years ago
0 likes

Things are looking better today.  16

I guess my question now is how I managed to make that comment above.  39

0 likes

hm. we feel your pain and we'll look into it again. It's the longest we've run the game in real world situations with 3.5k players, so apologies if it needs the odd tweak  1

0 likes

Is it just me, or is this problem getting worse?  39 I don't think I'm doing too badly as of late (collecting respectable points for each stage), but my team value keeps going down almost every day. I've lost nearly 20 credits in the last week and I'm now under 175 total credits.

rcs500 replied to TheBigMong | 13 years ago
0 likes

Eep! It seems to me when calculating the adjusted team value, it should never be able to drop below 175 points. You should only be able to go positive. If it's allowed to go below 175, that's a big deterrant to people who don't know as much about cycling or are new to the game.  39

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

they overlap for two stages, and you get four transfers for each. so you'll probably want to spend those transferring allegiance from one race to the other  1

thefatcyclist | 13 years ago
0 likes

Off topic, but now i'm confused, how can two races with different riders ovelap? You can only have 1 team.

Gkam84 replied to thefatcyclist | 13 years ago
0 likes
thefatcyclist wrote:

Off topic, but now i'm confused, how can two races with different riders ovelap? You can only have 1 team.

Yes you can only have one team, but you can pick riders from each race, like just now, i have grey'd out rider, but i could switch him for someone in another race

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

But then we miss out on all the things in between and if it gets reset its not going to be good when the Libéré and Tour de Suisse overlap

Because i have built up a decent credit balance, i want to benefit from that on the overlap by having big guys in both races making me good points, therefore increasing my credits for the TDF, its all a game of strategy, yes there are races more important than others, but you get a balance at the start of the season and you run with it in a normal team, whether it goes up or down in the game is all about how well you play it

rbx | 13 years ago
0 likes

I guess one way to make the 'sub'-competitions equal while keeping the year long contest alive is by banking the surplus/deficit of points at the end of each competition / between tours.

So at end of the Giro, everyone's brought back to 175 with the difference being banked ensuring a level field for the Tour.

For the year long competition, all the banked points can be added back to the team value at end of the Vuelta.

Slightly more complex but fairer to the new comers. What say?

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Yeah it seems to have sorted itself a bit better today, back to 197, so only a few credits down from the other day  4

0 likes

The change in calculations wasn't meant to put anyone at a disadvantage, only to stop team values running away. yesterday's adjustment felt a bit drastic, today things should be more normal.

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

My team value went from nearly 185 points to 167 so I'm now much worse off than someone joining the game tomorrow.

It's been bloody difficult playing it during the Classics because you can't put a team together, now we get to Giro and the goalposts are moved again.

I might as well give up - in fact I have to, or I'll be starting from a disadvantage.

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I dont think there should be any re-setting, if you started when the game started, you have a slight advantage, but nothing that cant be wiped out in a day or two's poor riding by one of your picks

So i dont want to see it level, if i can pick a slightly stronger team, then tough, work harder on your picks or get here earlier next year  4

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I dont think there should be any re-setting, if you started when the game started, you have a slight advantage, but nothing that cant be wiped out in a day or two's poor riding by one of your picks

So i dont want to see it level, if i can pick a slightly stronger team, then tough, work harder on your picks or get here earlier next year  4

I get your argument, and if you've worked hard and been successful then you should benefit. But what I'm talking about is what happens on the first stage of the TdF. If you have 200 credits and someone else has 175 or even 160 then it completely skews the game. If riders are priced so that someone with 175 has an evenly balanced team then 200 credits buys you a team of top time trialists and gives you a massive bump going into the first few stages, a bump that'll potentially benefit you throughout the tour.

Resetting team values before the TdF makes sure everyone starts on an even footing. If you've been successful in the past then you'll probably be successful through the tour and make up those credits within the first week but it balances the game from the start and gives everyone an equal chance through each period of the game. Not only that but it makes it easier for the Road cc team to price riders if everyone's got the same, or more similar, budgets.

drheaton | 13 years ago
0 likes

I agree that with the game lasting all season it would make sense to have team values varying across the whole year but each grand tour is a separate competition with very substantial prizes. It seems unfair that the tour or vuelta prize would go not to the person doing the best over each three weeks but to someone who had a 10-15 credit advantage right from the start. I'm not suggesting reseting after every classic, just at major milestones, the ones generally having unlimited transfers anyway.

My main reason for bringing this up was that I plan on bringing a few colleagues on board for the TdF and if team values werent reset I'd have to create another team for competing with work (rather than have a 5-10 credit headstart) which i don't really want to do.

0 likes
Quote:

Thanks for the explanation Dave, can I also suggest you reset overall team values at the start/end of each grand tour or group of races?

This is something we've discussed; the main issue is that many people will end the Giro with a team worth more than the original 175 credits, although with unlimited transfers ahead of the next race it shouldn't be so much of an issue. There's arguments either way: an equal footing ahead of the Tour and Vuelta makes a lot of sense but the game is a season-long one too.

drheaton | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the explanation Dave, can I also suggest you reset overall team values at the start/end of each grand tour or group of races?

I'm not sure if this is something you already do but it'd just mean everyone would be on an equal footing going into a race and it'd probably also make your job easier when pricing riders at the start if everyone's got the same budget.

0 likes

hello all.

Okay first things first: the rider/team value amendments are across the board, so no-one should have lost out. we've been tweaking the rider value logic since the start but like Swirly says, the general trend of team values has been an upward one. The latest tweak had more effect (it's the first one to be noticed...) but shouldn't actually affect your buying power in the transfer market at all. It's more to keep a cap on rider values so that new players aren't too badly disadvantaged.

For transparency, here's how rider values are currently calculated:

1) A popularity score is assigned to a rider based on how many teams they're in: this goes from -2 for no teams at all to +3 if they're in 50% of the participating teams or more
2) A score based on current form (last five stages) is added to that, this runs from -3 for zero form up to +3 for a form score of 12 or above.
3) The two are added together, and added/subtracted from the rider's value.
4) if the rider hasn't competed in all of the last five stages then their adjustment will be proportional to how many scores they have, from 100% for all 5 down to 0% for no stages
5) The maximum increase in a rider's value is 5 credits. The maximum decrease in a rider's value is 25% of their original, base value.

Swirly | 13 years ago
0 likes

>Thanks to this forum, I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one to have suffered the fate

Yeah me too, it seems fair as my team had gone up in value by a heck of a lot. Compared to new people coming in after the Giro it would have been a massive advantage.

rbx | 13 years ago
0 likes

I scored my highest ever 131 points in a stage and still lost almost 10 points in team value.

Thanks to this forum, I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one to have suffered the fate  1

TERatcliffe26 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Its almost as if the values have returned to near there original value.
Rujano won and ive lost 0.8 credits on him. Lost about 14 overall, whats going on?

drheaton | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've also had a massive drop. I scored 130 points today and lost about 10 credits. 3 of those were for Ventoso seeing as he's dropped out but I'm not really sure where the rest went.

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't have minded if i had a rubbish team not doing anything over the Giro, but i've been doing well and then hit with a huge credits off but i cant figure out where i have lost them

David ARROYO
Jan BAKELANDTS
Dario CATALDO
Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO
Steven KRUIJSWIJK
Christophe LE MEVEL
Francesco MASCIARELLI
Alessandro PETTACHI
Michele SCARPONI

That was my team yesterday that was worth 202

2 changes for today were
IN:Konstantin SIVTSOV OUT:Steven KRUIJSWIJK
IN:Matthew WILSON OUT:Jan BAKELANDTS

I tend to think something is wrong, so ripped out Pettachi and put in a cheapo Hans Dekkers, That way i'm not losing value on him for the rest of the Giro

zombie paul | 13 years ago
0 likes

I lost about 15 credits - seems very harsh given it took so long to build these credits up!

Latest Comments