Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

di2 problem

Di2 keeps going to sleep mid ride and the only way I get them back is to plug my charger lead into the handlebar port using a power bank has anyone else experienced this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

hawkinspeter | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

I've had similar issues happen though not whilst actually riding. My fix was kind of forced on me as the battery started to discharge quickly until it could lose a whole charge overnight - new battery required which fixed the issue.

I reckon it's the battery which is unfortunately quite expensive (somewhere around 130 quid the last time I looked)

Alanbh2017 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

Just bought a new battery so hopefully that resolves my issue fingers crossed 

£160 for my new battery 

mark1a replied to Alanbh2017 | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

If I were you I'd get the system plugged into E-Tube software with SM-PCE02 and check the system for battery drain issues, just in case the new battery solves the problem short-term but then doesn't hold charge in future. 

https://bettershifting.com/how-to-troubleshoot-di2-battery-drain-issues/

Alanbh2017 replied to mark1a | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Thanks I'll try that if this new battery doesn't solve my issue 

hawkinspeter replied to Alanbh2017 | 3 weeks ago
1 like

Alanbh2017 wrote:

Just bought a new battery so hopefully that resolves my issue fingers crossed 

£160 for my new battery 

Ouch!

1 like

Went on a short ride today with my new battery just hoping the new battery is the fix for this issue so far so good 

mike the bike | 3 weeks ago
4 likes

I'm afraid Alan that I bring neither insight nor remedy for your plight.  But instead I offer my thanks for helping me with a decision I have been toying with for weeks.  Should I finally relent and go electric?

Bearing in mind my incompetence when faced with a blown fuse in the kettle or an ill-fitting cupboard door, I think I should stick with my cables and mechanical derailleurs; they suit my level of expertise much better.

Flintshire Boy replied to mike the bike | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

Wish I'd done the same.

£2.5K down the swanee.

hawkinspeter replied to Flintshire Boy | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

Flintshire Boy wrote:

Wish I'd done the same.

£2.5K down the swanee.

Yeah, but it goes *click* *whirrrr*

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 3 weeks ago
5 likes

Presumably the problem being "...until it doesn't"?

hawkinspeter replied to chrisonabike | 3 weeks ago
4 likes

chrisonabike wrote:

Presumably the problem being "...until it doesn't"?

50% of the time it works 100% of the time

0 likes

Can't beat the slick gear change of a di2 electronic gear set first class when there working as they should 

Alanbh2017 replied to mike the bike | 3 weeks ago
1 like

I'd keep you're mechanical gear shift bike but defiantly get a electronic di2 or sram bike when the electric gear fails jump on your old cable bike 

live just bought a new battery hopefully that solves my issue the battery was rather old I'm guessing 2019 so it could have been the problem £160 a battery so not a cheap fix definitely more than new cables 

lonpfrb replied to mike the bike | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Di2 Ultegra a thing of beauty and relentless function. Also reduced wear on the mechs as always in the optimal position.
Yes, you have to charge it, but no more difficult than lights, satnav, camera and sensors already in use. LiPo battery holds charge for a long time and does many hours/shifts before needing the charge.
Battery state shown on head unit so easy to tell when.
More reliable than mechanical shifts as no adjustment over time required..

Latest Comments