Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

The Reform Party and the UK’s lurch towards fascism

I posted an earlier version of this a while back - inspired to do update following THAT discussion about all things ULEZ. 

The “manifesto”, in terms of transport, only mentions stopping HS2, but there’s plenty on the usual right-wing obsessions: Brexit, immigration, veterans and climate change.  I had another look because I worry about the ongoing decline of the two main political parties. 

If the Cons stay wedded to Brexit, then we will go into the next GE with all the widespread impoverishment Brexit has ushered in - not helped by Covid, Putin, etc. People generally vote according to their pockets.  I don’t get Labour’s current position on Europe either, but let’s see how that evolves, and even the Cons may also evolve, or even pivot, but time is already running out for them.

Several roads now lead to the horrors of a further lurch to the right in this country.  Let’s hope Labour get the GE landslide the polls are predicting - but we’re still at least a year out from the real campaigning beginning. 

A cycling angle? With the Reform Party and its ilk, Facebook Steve and Nextdoor Dave attain real political influence. It’s not spelt out in the manifesto, but you can see where this is probably heading and what it is likely to mean for cycling.  You can bet that this lot are very much "on the side of hard working drivers" etc. 

As you all know, Dave’s going to “sort the traffic” and no doubt show them lazy planners how it’s done: Steve thinks the Council are corrupt, the police blinkered and is, if he can fit it in to his busy schedule he’s going to “teach them Lycra’s a thing or two.” It won’t concern him that his Mondeo is 3 months out of MoT or that Mrs Steve sometimes drives the kids in it uninsured. 

As vulnerable road users, vulnerable people, we rely a great deal on the rule of law for protection. The rule of law means that we understand what the laws are, they are in general fair, and how they are applied and to whom is even-handed and consistent. 

The fascist position is broadly the opposite - it’s all off-the-cuff to support today’s particular agenda - that’s why the Iain Duncan-Smith “happy to see ULEZ infra vandalised” comment is, as an example, so very worrying.  In the Conservatives, here is a party happy to send signals to enable the mob to attack RNLI stations, beat up immigrants, shout at teachers, doctors etc. 

This right-wing stuff works by allowing/enabling significant privileged groups to to think of themselves as the downtrodden underdog and here is a way to fight back.  The pro Brexit campaign played on people’s ignorance, fears and prejudices exactly as this does. 

It’s all about freedom, innit, less regulation, less tax burden, and damn the climate.  There’s more polar bears now, so it’s fine.  Let’s have open-cast coal mining, lithium mining and fracking. The section on climate change stumbles around like a Friday night drunk, trying to explain he wasn't being racist to the barman - a denier position emerges, unsurprisingly.

In places, the mask really slips: “We must keep divisive woke ideologies such as Critical Race Theory (CRT) and gender ideology out of the classroom.” - to be honest, I don’t even know what those two are.

The standard enemies are put up - the civil service, the BBC.  Amid all the thrust and parry, there’s nothing  about making a better, more inclusive and cohesive world to live in; arts, sports and culture don’t feature in this barstool view of the world: a dullard’s grim vision.

Don’t be a member of the wrong sort of minority would be my advice, should any of this come to pass. 

https://www.reformparty.uk/reformisessential

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

376 comments

Rich_cb replied to hawkinspeter | 11 months ago
4 likes

That's a pretty decent definition of Nazism but who are you counting as a Nazi?

Goebbels/Hitler etc are easy, they directly committed historically awful crimes. They are worthy of hatred.

What about an average citizen who only joined the party in order to keep their job?

It's not a straightforward question without an explicit definition of exactly who we're talking about.

Those who directly committed crimes are the obvious ones to condemn but what of those who in some small way enabled those crimes?

Those who joined communist parties may have had entirely good motives but did they, in some small way, act an enablers for the atrocities committed in the name of communism that continue to this day?

On an entirely different scale, you might not like the policies of the Conservative party but is every voter to be held responsible for every action? Was every Corbyn supporter responsible for the worst examples of antisemitism that occurred under his leadership?

David9694 replied to Rich_cb | 11 months ago
3 likes

What examples of anti-semitism under Corbyn's leadership actually are there?

Good whataboutery on the Nazi party of Germany. Like Brexit, the party cause is whatever we say it is - there are a few loose MAGA type basic principles, but it seems to me a lot of it about creating this situation/atmosphere where folk with ideas that appeal no matter how bizarre or heinous get an airing and get to put this stuff into practice.

Govenrment is there to protect us from foreign invasion (or untoward influence, rather than troops landing at Hastings), to protect us from the worst effects of big business, while ensuring the country is prosperous, ensure justice and protect people from crime and the mob; I would argue that in modern times there is stuff to do  around health and well-being, safety.  

Can you honestly say the Tories have succeeded at any of that on any level in the past 10 years?   Do you believe they ever will, or have I with my O level, A level*, degree in politics, post grad certificate in policy admimstration and lifetime career in public service got the wrong definition of what the public should expect?

* OK, the A level was a bit shit - blame girls, or rather a girl. 

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 11 months ago
2 likes

David9694 wrote:

What examples of anti-semitism under Corbyn's leadership actually are there?

Good whataboutery on the Nazi party of Germany. Like Brexit, the party cause is whatever we say it is - there are a few loose MAGA type basic principles, but it seems to me a lot of it about creating this situation/atmosphere where folk with ideas that appeal no matter how bizarre or heinous get an airing and get to put this stuff into practice.

Govenrment is there to protect us from foreign invasion (or untoward influence, rather than troops landing at Hastings), to protect us from the worst effects of big business, while ensuring the country is prosperous, ensure justice and protect people from crime and the mob; I would argue that in modern times there is stuff to do  around health and well-being, safety.  

Can you honestly say the Tories have succeeded at any of that on any level in the past 10 years?   Do you believe they ever will, or have I with my O level, A level*, degree in politics, post grad certificate in policy admimstration and lifetime career in public service got the wrong definition of what the public should expect?

* OK, the A level was a bit shit - blame girls, or rather a girl. 

I believe it was mainly a small minority of Labour supporters making antisemitic posts online.

In July 2019:

Corbyn wrote:

While other political parties and some of the media exaggerate and distort the scale of the problem in our party, we must face up to the unsettling truth that a small number of Labour members hold anti-Semitic views and a larger number don't recognise anti-Semitic stereotypes and conspiracy theories. The evidence is clear enough. The worst cases of anti-Semitism in our party have included Holocaust denial, crude Jewish-banker stereotypes, conspiracy theories blaming Israel for 9/11 or every war on the Rothschild family, and even one member who appeared to believe that Hitler had been misunderstood. I am sorry for the hurt that has been caused to many Jewish people. We have been too slow in processing disciplinary cases of mostly online anti-Semitic abuse by party members. We are acting to speed this process up. People who hold anti-Semitic views have no place in the Labour Party. They may be few – the number of cases over the past three years represents less than 0.1% of Labour's membership of more than half a million – but one is too many.

There's also evidence of political interference with anti-semitic complaints (inappropriate involvement) and generally poor handling of them.

Rich_cb replied to David9694 | 11 months ago
4 likes

There have been some significant successes over the last 13 years.

Minimum wage reform.
Tax threshold reform.
Pension reform.
Huge expansion of renewable energy generation.
Huge decreases in the UK's carbon footprint.
They've also done a much better job of running health and education than their devolved equivalents in Wales.
There's also the small matter of navigating both a global financial crisis and a global pandemic without any periods of large scale unemployment.

3 likes

how much has happened despite them, not because of? I guess if you conform I.e. are working, educated, able that list might have some resonance. Ordinary people? People who have problems? 

interest rates, inflation  - continuing strikes in rail, health - yet tonnes of money to throw at stopping the boats

demonising Just Stop Oil - this is a major long-term failure by those who may  live long enough to see its consequences. I know you will whatabout on China, etc but I reject your distraction (ditto inflation in Germany or wherever ) It's great about renewables, but now being undone with more gas and oil announced. 

Health - that would be why there is unprecented industrial unrest?  Consulants AND trainees on strike. Staggering waiting lists for treatments many will die waiting and no serious recovery plan in sight. NHS dentistry now pot luck. How many new hospitals promised was it? 

Active travel, but now it's "we're on the side of the motorists" £2 bus fares - a great little idea but doesn't form a strategy for a little island that is grinding to a halt on current trends. 

poo and other nasties in the sea - this is basic stuff, as is policing  - no serious plan to address either. 

the whole ongoing  "boats" debacle - pandering to bigots, Bobby Stockholm, multiple court cases, demonising of leftie lawyers per Cugel's list of fascist tendencies. 

pandemic - PPE-gate, Partygate; the worst possible leader we could have had at the outset of the pandemic - equivocated for a month on lockdown.

Peroguing of Parliament - stopped only by the Supreme Court and the Good Law Project. A really dangerous moment - I hope a one-off.  

Liz Truss - and whatever it was happened there - after a leadership contest that took all summer. 30p, Nadine Dorries - she is right re zombie govt. 

The flags (seem to have largely gone now) fad.

All founded on the pack of lies and house built on sand that is Brexit.

3 likes

You're really clutching at straws there.

All of those things have happened as a direct result of government policy. CO2 emissions would likely have fallen despite who was in power but the extent of the fall is significantly larger due to government policy.

Healthcare is not in a good place in England but it's far better than in Wales where health is run by the Labour party and has been for 25 years+.

Sewage spills are just as bad in Wales.

Pandemic mortality was worse in Wales.

JSO demonised themselves, I personally think they are more damaging to the climate movement than any politician in this country.

3 likes

Wales whataboutery deflection is it now - that well-known independent state with it its own laws and revenues. But somehow it's me clutching at straws.  

What a weak position to have to resort to - that and a "poor little me" out group. You clearly have no argument to make in relation to last night's post. 

Finally, some Labour / UK whataboutery from me - Labour (and as noted above the Tories) have not in the last 25 years been at all good at picking talented, winning party leaders. Thousands of people would have enjoyed better, more prosperous and longer lives in this country had Labour found a good successor to Blair/Brown all those years ago.

2 likes

It is actually not well known that Wales has an entirely independent health system.

Hence, foolish comments like yours.

The simple fact is that the global financial crisis and the pandemic have both made providing public services incredibly challenging. The Conservatives have done a better job of it than Labour.

If a Labour leader would have been so much better for the UK why haven't Labour in Wales produced similar results?

Rendel Harris replied to Rich_cb | 11 months ago
4 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

It is actually not well known that Wales has an entirely independent health system.

You know perfectly well what a disingenuous statement that is: Wales is reliant on the direct grant from the UK government which is worth 15% less in real terms than it was a decade ago. Additionally your beloved Brexit has removed very significant funding from the EU. Fairly standard Tory behaviour, take away the lifebelt and then ask why is that man drowning.

Rich_cb replied to Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
4 likes

What part is disingenuous?

Wales sets its own health budget and makes its own health policies.

Wales receives (per capita) £1.20 for every £1 spent on devolved public services in England. Wales then chooses how to spend that money.

For every £1 that the Westminster government spend on the English NHS the Welsh government receive the equivalent of £1.20.

However they choose to only spend £1.05 on the Welsh NHS and then blame England for the underperformance. The graph I posted neatly shows the consequences for the Welsh public.

Hirsute replied to Rich_cb | 11 months ago
0 likes

Your last one resulted in huge borrowing - now at 2.5 trillion.
They may have tinkered with tax allowances but that hasn't changed for 5 years now. Remind me what's the NI rate over 50270?

Rich_cb replied to Hirsute | 11 months ago
0 likes

Is it 2%?

I'm not sure the relevance of that?

1 like

You claimed tax threshold reform yet those who earn well continued with the 2% rate. So helping the well off again, not the whole scale reform required.

4 likes

National insurance isn't the only tax applied to income.

Child allowance was removed for those earning above £50k so the effective tax rate for someone with children earning above that threshold went up significantly.

Similar increases occurred at £100k due to the loss of personal allowance and the tax rate is 45% above £125k.

2 likes

The 45% that was reduced from 50% ?

0 likes

Yep. They probably should have cut it further. It had only been at 50% for a few years anyway.

A high tax rate does not always produce a high tax take.

Income taxes have been cut much more for low earners than for high earners.

Left_is_for_Losers replied to Rich_cb | 11 months ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

There have been some significant successes over the last 13 years. Minimum wage reform. Tax threshold reform. Pension reform. Huge expansion of renewable energy generation. Huge decreases in the UK's carbon footprint. They've also done a much better job of running health and education than their devolved equivalents in Wales. There's also the small matter of navigating both a global financial crisis and a global pandemic without any periods of large scale unemployment.

Don't hit them with facts...they don't like them at all on here

essexian replied to Left_is_for_Losers | 11 months ago
2 likes

Jeremy Corbyn for PM wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:

Don't hit them with facts...they don't like them at all on here

Facts... you wouldn't know facts if it stole your school dinner money from you. 

hawkinspeter replied to Rich_cb | 11 months ago
3 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

That's a pretty decent definition of Nazism but who are you counting as a Nazi? Goebbels/Hitler etc are easy, they directly committed historically awful crimes. They are worthy of hatred. What about an average citizen who only joined the party in order to keep their job? It's not a straightforward question without an explicit definition of exactly who we're talking about. Those who directly committed crimes are the obvious ones to condemn but what of those who in some small way enabled those crimes? Those who joined communist parties may have had entirely good motives but did they, in some small way, act an enablers for the atrocities committed in the name of communism that continue to this day? On an entirely different scale, you might not like the policies of the Conservative party but is every voter to be held responsible for every action? Was every Corbyn supporter responsible for the worst examples of antisemitism that occurred under his leadership?

I'd consider people that agree with Nazi ideology to be Nazis. People who were coerced into going along with the Nazi party share some of the blame if they quietly went along with the policies, although I understand it takes bravery to stand up for what's right.

There's a saying - what do you get if you let two nazis into your house? A house with three nazis in it.

If people agreed with communist ideology, and then unwittingly took part in authoritarian regimes, then they too share some guilt for their part, though the communist ideology isn't the problem, but the nature of the regime.

There's obviously a problem with single party states as they tend towards authoritarianism and corruption and often most people have no say in what's going on (and that's assuming that they even know about it). However, in a system with more than one party, you must take some responsibility for which party you vote for. I can understand someone being hookwinked by others, but at some point it should be obvious that you're propping up the baddies and you must change your allegiance.

I don't believe that Corbyn supporters had much knowledge about Labour's antisemitism, and they deserve some blame if they knowingly supported and encouraged antisemitism. I've long thought that the Labour party isn't fit for purpose (e.g. Blair should be tried for war crimes).

2 likes

Has there ever been a communist regime that didn't lead to large scale state sanctioned human rights abuses?

I'm not aware of any.

That suggests that the ideology may be part of the problem.

No political party is perfect, any vote for any party is always going to be a compromise. You've got to accept that some policies won't be to your liking and choose the party that's closest to your ideals.

I have no regrets about voting Conservative as I'm sure the alternative, in the shape of Corbyn, would have been far worse.

Corbyn's antisemitism was very well known, I seriously doubt many people who took an interest in politics were unaware of it.

chrisonabike replied to Rich_cb | 11 months ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

Has there ever been a communist regime that didn't lead to large scale state sanctioned human rights abuses? I'm not aware of any. That suggests that the ideology may be part of the problem.

I think the abuses and problems with communist states are well documented.  However aside from complaints about definition ("those were not true communist regimes, they're merely autocracies which have usurped a power vacuum...") they're a fairly new feature e.g. newer than democracies.  Comparing to things in the past is problematic I know but the Greeks did give us the word!

It may be easier for a communist state to "go bad" but unfortunately democracies also do.  They also have not been shown to be much less lethal - even to their own citizens.

I'm reminded of Primo Levi's quote about Nazi and Soviet camps being a "lugubrious comparison between two models of hell".

For most of us in e.g. the UK now we experience historically very mild levels of oppression from the state (e.g. they merely steal a little of our money via taxation and occasionally lock us up).  So it's easy to overlook that our own states continue to do bad things to some (and have done terrible things in recent memory).

If you lived somewhere - for example - the US took a strategic interest in or dislike to (under Republicans or Democrats both) then ... good luck.

Rich_cb replied to chrisonabike | 11 months ago
2 likes

I'm not aware of any 20th century democracies that committed Communist level atrocities against their own citizens?

You're right, of course, that democracies have still engaged in awful behaviour oth at home and abroad but that's not a fundamental feature of a democracy, plenty of democracies don't.

All communist states have, AFAIK, engaged in large scale human rights abuses.

4 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

So have all far right/fascist states, do you have any point apart from whataboutery?

Cugel replied to Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
5 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:

So have all far right/fascist states, do you have any point apart from whataboutery?

No. 'e don't. Wot a surprise.

How about Cuba, though? A one party state but often found by various independent and disinterested observers to have, for example, the best health service in the world, despite the economic punishments arranged for the Cubans by the USA and other kleptocracies frustrated in their previous efforts to exploit the bejasus out of that nearby isle.

Gaw, even I have been successfully whatabouted!

Perhaps Rich is actually rich, perhaps from renting or shareholding?  If so, one can understand his liking for the Toryspiv, who are great supporters of all kinds of exploitation of other humans for vast profits. There are all kinds of satanic mills these days!

But perhaps not. Perhaps Rich is just another bog-standard member of the hoi-polloi like the rest of us. This makes his fannery of Toryspiv less easy to grasp but .... he may suffer from that seemingly installed-at-birth Bwitish meme from our greater memeplex of the Bwitish class system.

Toryspiv - just a better class of people. ( See the pinstripe suit, pearls & twinset and certificate of empathy-removal from one public skool or another). And they are so successful, innit! Lookit their wads of bung, rent & bribe.

Rich_cb replied to Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
1 like

That Communism is not a benign ideology.

1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

What specific part of the ideology do you have issues with?

Whilst modern communism is relatively new (i.e. Marxism), the principles have been put into practise in many religious institutions such as monasteries for a long time. Certainly, prehistoric hunter-gatherer societies were organised around collective ownership and they didn't have parasitic landlords demanding rent for imaginary possessed land.

2 likes

The issue I have is that, at a state level, it appears impossible to implement the ideology without committing atrocities. Removing large amounts of personal property without resorting to significant violence seems impossible.

The advantage of prehistory is that we don't really have strong evidence of how things were actually organised, so we can project whatever we want onto that era.

Inter tribal warfare is a thread that runs through human history so the idea that it wasn't a feature in pre-history seems a bit far fetched.

0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

The issue I have is that, at a state level, it appears impossible to implement the ideology without committing atrocities. Removing large amounts of personal property without resorting to significant violence seems impossible. The advantage of prehistory is that we don't really have strong evidence of how things were actually organised, so we can project whatever we want onto that era. Inter tribal warfare is a thread that runs through human history so the idea that it wasn't a feature in pre-history seems a bit far fetched.

How convenient - just ignore all the atrocities that are committed by far-right states and only see a problem with communism. Honestly, I'm bored with your whataboutism and continual justification and simping for the evil Tories, who delight in ensuring that only their mates benefit.

You do realise that Capitalism is about to render huge swathes of our planet uninhabitable, right? As long as your Tory mates are making money, then I expect you're okay with that, like you're okay with them exploring for more oil to dig out of the ground.

FFS.

3 likes

It's not a binary choice between far right and communism is it.

We have to compare communism as a system to liberal democracy as a system.

Communism as a system results in atrocities. Anyone who promotes or defends communism as an alternative to democracy must account for that.

I've yet to see you do that.

Communism has a far worse environmental track record than capitalism does. I dread to think what state the environment would be in had communism won the cold war.

I believe that if we have to use fossil fuels we should choose the least harmful versions.

We are nowhere near ready to run our society without fossil fuels so the least bad option is fossil fuels with the lowest carbon footprint.

You want to continue using fossil fuels with carbon footprints 2-3 times higher than available alternatives and then portray my position as environmentally damaging. It's laughable.

2 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

It is not, or has not been from those who have claimed to practice it at least (we can argue until the cows come home as to whether they were actually communists). However nor is fascism. The trouble is that you appear to believe that the atrocities of the very far left in terms of dictatorial communism invalidate any left wing movement, even moderate socialism, whereas apparently the atrocities of the far right in terms of dictatorial fascism don't invalidate the moderate right at all. More than a whiff of hypocrisy about that.

Pages

Latest Comments